Our College

Principal’s Welcome

Why Choose St Leo’s?

Why Co-ed?

College Crest & Ideals

College Leadership & Staff

College Facilities

Interactive College Map

Strategic Plan


Our College History
St Leo’s was originally founded on 24 April, 1955 for the education of boys of the Upper North Shore. The first classes commenced in 1956, with 118 students in Years 3 to 6.

The College was named after St Leo the Great, who was one of the early Popes of the Catholic Church. St Leo famously went forth from Rome, with the cross as his standard and defence to plead with Attila the Hun to spare the eternal city and its people. By the force of his personality, he succeeded where others had failed. After he died in 461 AD, St Leo was honoured for his work with the title of Doctor of the Church.

The year 1983 was a momentous one in the College’s history. By 1983, the Brothers were no longer able to staff the College and so its administration was passed to the Catholic Education Office, Sydney. Upon the departure of the Christian Brothers, the first lay Headmaster was appointed.

The College became co educational, with the first girls enrolling in Year 11 in 1983 and Year 7 in 1984. By 1987 the College had fully completed the integration of co-education. When the newly created Diocese of Broken Bay was formed, the College came under the jurisdiction of the Catholic Schools Office, Broken Bay.

In the 1980s, the College undertook an extensive building program including the creation of the Brother Crohan Library and the Brother Berg Building, incorporating a multi-purpose hall and extensive art and hospitality facilities. In 2002 a new Technology Centre was constructed placing St Leo’s at the forefront of technological learning. The Light of Christ Centre was opened in 2012, providing high quality sporting facilities for the College.

The College recently completed an extensive $25 million building works program including the new Mary MacKillop Centre for Creative and Performing Arts, Technology and Hospitality, which includes a state-of-the-art dance and drama theatre, commercial kitchens, TAS workshops, art gallery, visual art studios, specialty music, orchestra, and band rooms as well as other flexible learning spaces. Other recently completed upgrades include renovation of the College’s spiritual heart – the Chapel, as well as the Aquinas Resource Centre with library and cafe, a new College entrance and additional outdoor recreation spaces.

The current St Leo’s community is indebted to the Christian Brothers for the strong Catholic foundation that was established for the College. At present the College has over 800 students from Years 7–12. As a Catholic, comprehensive, co-educational high school, the College exists to provide the best possible faith, learning and growth environment for the College community. The College strives to provide a holistic Catholic education designed to assist each student to achieve their own personal best.

Interested in enrolling at St Leo’s?

Learn more about joining the St Leo’s community.

Learn More